Friday, February 19, 2010

Heaps of freckles and crazy kiwis

I made it to Massey! I moved in this Monday to Millennium Village, and I'm in a flat with Mark, an American from West Virginia, Aaron, and Nicole. Aaron and Nicole are Kiwis, and both first years just starting at uni.
Orientation week has been fun, I've been meeting lots of fun new people. There are quite a few other Americans in Millennium Village, as well as lots of locals and other international students. O week is fun because no one has started their papers yet-so there isn't any stress and it creates a good environment to get to know people.
Last night I went out dancing with my flat mates Mark and Nicole, and some other friends, Jessica and Will. This was my first time going to downtown Auckland, and it is quite the place. There were people everywhere! It is definitely not Spokane.
Here are a few words I have found to be different (Kiwi on the left, translation on the right):
Tea: dinner
Paper: a class
Stationary: paper, or general school supplies
Diary: a planner
Course: your major
Yin: cool
Hot pool: a natural hotspring

There are tons more-but those are the ones I can remember right now.

I'll post some picture of my flat mates as soon as I take some. For weekend plans, I'm not sure what is going on today-but tomorrow I'm going to a hot spring! It is a thing organized by our accommodation director, and sounds super fun. I know it is a hot spring, but rumor has it there are water slides too!

2 comments:

  1. You could probably add

    flat mates room mates

    Glad you are having fun. Love you

    ReplyDelete